Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Chatham Area Public Library was founded in 1986, and is a volunteer 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds to supplement the Library’s annual budget for materials and programs and supporting literacy initiatives in the Chatham community. The Friends welcome new members and offer service opportunities for youth and adult groups.
The Friends of the Chatham Area Public Library are that and a whole lot more! Some of the other things the Friends do to make the library services better for our patrons include:
- Hosting the annual Murder Mystery Dinner Theater Fundraiser
- Sponsoring the Teen and Adult Summer Reading Programs
- Providing volunteers to help with various library programs
- Sponsoring the Library on the Go e-books and more databases
- Providing computers and equipment for the library
The Friends of the Library Board welcomes any member of the Friends to join them at their meetings. They are typically on the 4th Tuesday of the month, at 6:30 p.m. The Board determines all fundraising activities for the year. They also vote on what projects to fund for the Library.
Due to the Pandemic, meetings are held online via zoom. If you would like to join our meeting, please email us at [email protected].
Let's be Friends!
Making a monetary donation to FOL establishes you as a member of the FOL organization for the current calendar year. Your donation will enhance Library services and provide increased resources and materials.
- Tax deductible contributions
- Access to the members-only preview hour at all book sales.
- Coupons for free books in our Friends’ Bookstore & Café
You can donate by filling out theFriends Membership Form and drop it off at the Library's circulation desk, the Friends' Cafe & Bookstore or mail it to:
600 East Spurce Street
Chatham, IL 62629
Or you can pay online:
Support the Library When You Shop on AmazonSmile
Amazon shoppers can help the Library by making purchases through AmazonSmile. A portion of your purchase price (0.5%) will go to the Friends of the Library, at no cost to you. AmazonSmile has the same products and prices as Amazon.com.
How it works
- To get started, go to smile.amazon.com, and log in with your Amazon password.
- Enter Friends of the Chatham Area Public Library as your charity.
- Shop and support the Library.
Please note that these volunteer opportunities will resume when it is safe to do so. At this time, we are not accepting any volunteers.
Anyone can volunteer with Friends, regardless of their membership status. Volunteers can participate in a variety of activities:
- Working at the biannual booksales held in the Library Galleries
- Staffing the Friends’ Café & Bookstore
- Acting, serving or baking at our March Murder Mystery Fundraiser
- Being a member on the Friends Board. Help guide the Friends with their fundraising efforts and determine how to assist the Library with their programming and equipment needs.
- Helping at other Friends-sponsored library events
Thank you for your support!
We hope to hear from you! Please contact us with how you're interested in serving!
This free service is made possible for our patrons through the generosity of the Friend’s of the Chatham Area Public Library. If you would like to help with this program, please contact the Library.
The Chatham Area Public Library District is not responsible for any loss or injury incurred or suffered, directly or indirectly, to any person or persons volunteering in or receiving service from this program.
Volunteers will be asked to sign a Release and Hold Harmless form.
You can learn more about the program here.
Due to the pandemic, our traditional January booksale has been canceled. We are hopeful to come back in July, during the Jaycee's Sweet Corn Festival. Please stay tooned for more information.
The Friends have two book & bake sales annually. Their Winter Book & Bake Sale is in Mid-January and the Sweet Corn Book Sale coincides with the Jaycees Sweet Corn Festival every July. Friends members get early access before the general public. The Friends Power Hour is from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM each sale. The general public is welcome from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. The Bag Sale is at 2:00 PM, where anyone can buy a paper bag for a donation of any amount ($2.00 minimum) and fill it up with remaining books from the sale.
Would you like to volunteer to help? We need helpers to set up, help during the sale and then take down the sale. We also need bakers to bake sweet treats for our shoppers! Let’s connect! Volunteer form