- Loud, offensive, or threatening language and disruptive or offensive behavior are not permitted.
- Patrons will be appropriately attired, including shirts and shoes.
- Food is not to be consumed in the Library except in the Café, Library Meeting/Activity Rooms and at authorized events.
- Beverages may be consumed in the Café, Meeting/Activity Rooms and in the Library proper if they are secured with lids except for in the computer lab, the Chatham History/Genealogy Room and near electronic equipment throughout the Library.
- Smoking or the use of any tobacco product is not permitted in the Library or within 15 feet of any entrance to the building or on patio.
- Bicycles or other vehicles may not be parked in a manner that blocks or hinders entry to the Library.
- Animals are not permitted in the Library, except for companion dogs for the physically disabled and for the purpose of Library programming.
- Parents are expected to supervise their children. The Library Staff and the Board of Trustees do not presume to act “in loco parentis.” Therefore, they do not act as “baby-sitters” nor do they censor the Library materials that children choose. If children are left at the Library for long periods of time unsupervised, parents/guardians will be notified. If there is no response, the Chatham Police will be notified.
- Restrooms may not be used as a bathing facility.
- Cell phone use in the Library is restricted to the Library vestibule, a study room or a meeting room not currently in use. Cell phones should be turned to vibrate and consideration given to other patrons and Library Staff.
- Personal electronic equipment, including but not limited to radios, CD/Mp3 players and computers are permitted to be used only with headphones and at a volume that does not disturb others.